Site map © Soft Byte Ltd 2012, 2021 Photos & screen shots are for illustrative purposes and may differ slightly from actual product.
DesignaKnit 8 under Windows 8 / 10 / 11
Before 31st October 2012, DesignaKnit 8 did not open under 64-bit editions of Windows 8 (or 10) and crashed under 32-bit editions. The problem is now fixed but if your DK8 dates from before that time, it requires a special updating procedure using the update button below. DesignaKnit 9 doesn’t have this problem.
My PC already has Windows 8 or 10 and DesignaKnit 8 won’t open:
If DesignaKnit 8 won’t open under Windows 8 or 10, please restart Windows and update using the button below.
I want to upgrade my DesignaKnit 8 PC from Windows 8 to Windows 10:
Please update DesignaKnit 8 in the normal way through DesignaKnit’s Help menu. Alternatively you can make sure DesignaKnit 8 is closed and update it using the button below. The DesignaKnit update may be applied either before or after upgrading Windows.
I want to upgrade my DesignaKnit 8 PC from Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 to Windows 10:
Please go to DK8's Help / About and look at your version number. If there is a letter A at the end, then update DesignaKnit in the normal way from its Help menu, either before or after upgrading Windows. If there is no letter A at the end, make sure DesignaKnit is closed and update it using the button below before upgrading Windows.
I want to install DesignaKnit 8 on a computer that already has Windows 8 or 10:
Please browse your DesignaKnit 8 CD. If the Setup program was made before November 2012, you can install from the CD, but you then need to update DesignaKnit BEFORE trying to open it, by using the Update button below. If the CD is more recent, it’s still a good idea to update DesignaKnit after installing, but it doesn’t matter if that is done before or after upgrading Windows.
After getting this update, DesignaKnit 8 may show a different lock number and require a new key number. Contact your DesignaKnit agent for the new key number. While waiting for the key number, you will be able to open DesignaKnit if the CD is in the drive.
DesignaKnit 8 Update Available
I have downloaded the DesignaKnit update for Windows 8 & 10 but I have the older type of DesignaKnit 8 CD. Can I still use my CD?
- Yes. You can use it to install DesignaKnit 8 onto a computer with any version of Windows. If the computer has Windows 8 or 10, then after installation and before running DesignaKnit 8 you should use the DesignaKnit update for Windows 8 or 10 that is offered here. You can also continue to use the CD as a permanent DesignaKnit 8 licence under any version of Windows (while waiting for the key number, you can open DesignaKnit if the CD is in the drive).
I bought DesignaKnit at around the time Windows 8 came out, and I don’t have Windows 8. How do I know if I have the Windows 8 and 10 compatible edition?
- Go to DesignaKnit 8’s Help / About. Version 8.03.00 and later releases show the security edition type as an “A” or an “E” after the version number. “A” means you have the Windows 8 & 10 compatible edition; “E” or no letter means you have the older security edition.
What caused this problem with DesignaKnit 8 and Windows 8?
- There is an unexpected incompatibility between Windows 8 or 10 and a third party security system that we were using for DesignaKnit 8. We are now using a different security system which is compatible with Windows 8 & 10.
Why will I need a different key number after getting this update?
- Besides protecting DesignaKnit from being pirated, the security software also provides data from your computer hardware that is used to calculate the lock numbers. The Windows 8 & 10 compatible security system has a different method of providing data, therefore different key numbers are required.
Will I have to use this special updating procedure regularly to check for maintenance updates?
- No. If you have already obtained the DesignaKnit 8 update for Windows 8 or 10 from this website, it is not necessary to do it again. After getting this update once, you can then continue to get maintenance updates in the normal way through DesignaKnit 8’s Web Updates menu.
I am planning to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10. Why can’t I just use my normal Web Updates menu option to get the new update?
- Two reasons:
1. We are now running two parallel editions of DesignaKnit: one that is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, and one that is compatible with 98SE, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, and 7. For users who have the older operating systems, we are retaining the older security system.
2. After getting the Windows 8 & 10 compatible update, a new key number is required. We want to avoid that inconvenience for users who don’t plan to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.
Does any of this apply to DesignaKnit 9?
- No, there aren’t any known compatibility issues between any release of DesignaKnit 9 and Windows XP or later versions.